Search This Blog

Saturday, February 23, 2019

Then One Morning, a Different World



Tuesday, February 19, was not our big snow of the winter. That was yet to come. What made it spectacular, to my eye, was the way it coincided with a day of gorgeous clouds. As we took the curve from the mountains onto the flats for the first time that morning, with the sunlit playa ahead, I had no idea what sky scenes awaited us farther down the road. Scenes like this: 





As you can see, clouds and blue sky were already playing tug-o’-war, and it was a toss-up which would eventually hold sway. 




Unfortunately — no, I take that back. Fortunately, I had forgotten something back at the cabin, and when we were almost at the city limits of Willcox we turned back to retrace our steps. I could not regret the extra trip as “wasted,” with sights like these in my viewfinder. 






And then, back towards town again, marveling at how hidden the mountains were behind the clouds. 




Areas of blue sky increased, mountains reappeared, and as more sunlight was able to break through, light and cloud shadows on the mountains colored the distances.





As the shots below demonstrate, the last one at day’s end, blue sky eventually triumphed and gave us a clear window for Wednesday’s mountain drive.



1 comment:

  1. One of the things I like about the SW is the wide open sky to watch the weather go by. Especially love the clouds...not the snow so much but I guess that's OK if you know it won't stick around for months.

    ReplyDelete